Don’t shun me. Please. Although I’ve really shunned myself, but I’m back.
This right here has become my New Year’s Resolution. I used to post 2-3 times a week, and now…well I don’t even know. The better part of last year was a little rough. I stopped eating all Gluten and Dairy products in hopes of fixing my lil’ Claire tummy issues. After several months of remaining about 90% true to the former, I’ve been slowly able to bring a few of those items back into my diet. Although limited, it’s nice to ONLY be able to just eat…meat and vegetables. Ha!
I’ve spent the better part of this last year building my career, kicking butts, and taking names. I absolutely must rejuvenate my culinary creativity, because those protein bars aren’t really cutting it in the expressive department.
I could easily write pages and pages about my personal life, but this is a food blog, not a me blabbing blog so, as you were-
I thought I would do a “Welcome Back” with an oldie but a goodie Italian Chicken Parmesan.
If you have all the right ingredients, this can be from prep to table easily in 40 minutes. Lay it all out so you’re ready to go from one thing to the next and boom! I would recommend a stove top to oven safe skillet if you have one, or even better, a cast iron. (Cast-iron is also your secret weapon for perfect pancakes…totally unrelated. Who’s surprised?)
*If you read almost any Chicken Parm recipe ever, it will tell you pound out to flatten out two chicken breasts. A quick cheat to this, is just to take a larger chicken breast and slice it lengthwise (carefully of course).
1 Large Chicken Breast, sliced lengthwise
2 Tbsp. Canola Oil
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp garlic
1 can of peel tomatoes + 1 tsp olive oil: blend in a food processor + 1/4 tsp salt+ 1/4 tsp pepper
1 can/jar of tomato sauce + 1 tsp olive oil+ 1/4 tsp salt+ 1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup of mozzarella
2 tbsp. parsley
1. In a skillet or cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium. If it starts to smoke it’s too hot. You want it to sizzle if water touches it.
2. While the oil heats, you want to soak the chicken in milk with about 1/8 tsp of each salt and pepper.
3. In another dish coming the flour+ 1/8 tsp salt+1/8 tsp pepper+1/2 tsp parsley+1/4 tsp chili powder+1/4 tsp ginger+1/4 tsp garlic.
4. Starting with piece one, dredge the soaked piece in flour, then back into the milk for a second dip, back into the flour another one last time. Repeat with 2nd piece. Set off to the site until the oil is hot enough.
5. Shallow pan fry about 1-2 minutes each side. Then set aside.
6. Preheat oven to 375. Turn down stove top to low. If it’s too hot your sauce will bubble (spit)
7. While the oven heats, whip out your pan you used to fry the chicken with just a paper towel. Place back on the heat and add your sauce ingredients minus the mozzarella and parsley.
8. Warm sauce on stove top until oven is ready at 375. Place your chicken breasts lightly on top in the sauce, top with mozzarella, and bake for about 15 minutes.
Serve with pasta of your choice.
xoxo : Claire ❤